Lookout

Lookout

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Hydro Therapy.

While this term is most associated with massage, for me, hydro therapy represents some quality time spent on the water. I am still intrigued as to how reflective time spent on the water can be...there is so much to see and yet, so little to focus on besides the task at hand. I find that I have consistently had this one thought each time out...the river is never the same from 1 second to the next, she seems to instantly forget who she is as she rolls through each riffle yet, somehow, she remembers it all.

to cold for today...
Coming across something as simple as a rope swing conjures up images of a carefree youth. Regardless of the fact that I never tried a rope swing until I was well into my 20's, one can imagine the countless splashes that others have had in this spot. Bush-whacking has become a secondary partner to angling. When I first came to fly fishing, the spots with the easiest access where the places I would park myself and cast a line. Over the past year, I've found that the path taken to a favorite spot is almost as fun as the fishing itself. The chance to see undisturbed flowers or to come upon a white-tailed deer, almost as surprised to see you as you are to see him, are wildly rewarding.

lured from the cold depths...
It's been 2 years since I've played a round of golf, after having played for 30 years. I can safely say, I have never received such pleasure from golf as I have from a trip to the water. This thing, fishing, is obsessive, engrossing and challenging in ways that I cannot relate to anything else.  While I choose to live a life with no regrets, I hope I live long enough to come close to developing angling skills that. hopefully, my boys will carry through their lives.  My wife, she just smiles and shrugs when I recap, wide eyed, my most recent trip to the river...she is however, my best catch.

my better half couldn't pass this up...

No comments:

Post a Comment