Lookout

Lookout

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Arlington National Cemetery

I have the good fortune to travel a fair amount for my job. I have been to 9 different countries and about 35 States thus far. Yet, in all my travels, no place strikes more of a chord than trips to the Washington DC area. 

Each trip, time permitting, I try to work in a visit, however brief, to Arlington National Cemetery. I have never been so moved by the combined beauty and sorrow that are present at the same place. Having made my first visit only a few short years ago, ANC has become a great equalizer to the trials and tribulations of everyday life. Having always had a fascination and appreciation for the military, Arlington is a reminder that every one of us lives the life we have based on the sacrifice of those buried in this National landmark.

It also serves as a reminder that, as I walk thru the newer sections of the grounds, that the United States is still at war. Whatever you politics, we should all take time to remember those who are and have served to allow us the freedoms we enjoy.

I would urge all who have the opportunity to visit Arlington and take some time to walk the grounds and offer up silent appreciation to those names you view as you walk by.



No comments:

Post a Comment