Lookout

Lookout

Thursday, September 29, 2011

What gives?

I took the slightly longer route home from Manhattan today and drove through Kent and Cornwall to check out the condition of the Housatonic. It certainly had the appearance of a nice cup of hot cocoa and, during a stop at Housatonic River Outfitters, Torrey mentioned that the levels were increasing at a very gradual clip rather than the spikes that sometimes occur with heavy rains.

Continuing on, I drove my small sections of my home river, the Farmington, which also looked chocolaty and higher than recent days. A review of the USGS charts currently show 2800cfs at the confluence of the Still River and around 450cfs at Riverton. Hopefully, the water will recede as quickly as it rose.

More importantly, I'm left to wonder what fishing gods were offended this summer. As I have not been fishing for decades, for me anyway, this has been a strange season on the river. I would like someone to tell me if a virgin sacrifice, incense, dead chickens or some other cleansing ritual is required given the rain that continues to show up every time the water seems like it's ready to be truly fishable again.

I'm open to any and all suggestions at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment